COLIC: WHAT IS IT? (AND WHAT CAN I DO TO RELIEVE IT?)
Watching your little one wriggle and cry in pain due to the wind and abdominal pain caused by colic can be gut-wrenching. And yet, there is still a great mystery that surrounds what causes colic in babies.
However, there are some proven simple steps that can make your baby much more comfortable during these painful bouts.
COLIC SYMPTOMS TO BE AWARE OF
During periods of colic, a baby may fuss, cry or be unsettled for long periods of time, especially in the late afternoon and evening. Some researchers suggest that a baby’s cries cause wind which then causes more pain in their little tummies so that colic can feel like a vicious cycle.
Fortunately, there are ways to help soothe your baby’s colic, settle sore tummies and promote better sleep.
Here are some quick & easy tips that will hopefully soothe your child during bouts of colic:
- Swaddle your child and wrap him/her tight. Some babies respond well to this feeling and it can help relax the baby and ease symptoms.
- Hold your baby in a ‘colic carry’ which is when his/her stomach rests on your forearm, and their head is supported in the palm of your hand. This can sometimes help relieve an infants pain.
- Reduce outside stimulation.
- Give your baby a gentle massage. This can also help them to relax and release pent-up gas.
- Give your baby a warm bath which will provide him/her with some relief.
- Lay your baby on their back and pedal their legs, gently. This motion will help to release gas.
- Try a herbal tea, like our own Colic Tea which is designed to have a calming and soothing effect on mothers and their babies digestive systems. This tea blend incorporates a range of beneficial ingredients such as caraway and aniseed which helps to relieve the spasm of involuntary muscles in the stomach, and fennel, which can be calming and soothing to tummies.